And later this week she will run out in the green and gold uniform of the Australian Women’s Open team when they battle it out against New Zealand in the 2012 Trans Tasman Test Series in Mudgee, New South Wales. The Brisbane school student, who turned 17 last month, becomes one of the youngest players to ever represent Australia at an Open’s level, while teammate Ashleigh Quinlan, who turned 17 late last year, also joins her in the team. While Caslick didn’t expect to be making the team so early in her career, she is looking forward to making her mark on the series when it starts on Thursday. “I was sort of a bit shocked but yeah I’m really excited, I can’t wait,” Caslick said. Caslick started playing Touch Football as an 11-year-old, and it didn’t take long for her to impress on the field, making her first Queensland team that year. While it’s been a big 12 months for the 17-year-old, which included helping her side, the Brisbane City Cobras win the 2012 National Touch League Women’s Open title, she is keen to use this week’s experience to learn as much as she can from some of her Touch Football idols, and she says she has already learnt plenty along the way. “I’d already played with Woodsy (Kelly Woods) and Chez (Emilee Cherry) before but playing with Peta (Rogerson) and Louise Winchester and KJ (Kristy Judd), they just taught me so much and they were so encouraging, just learning from all of them, they all have little things that help so much.”“I think I’m just going to learn so much from the older girls and that’s what I’m looking forward to the most, I think it will be fun in general,” she said. Caslick credits Australian Women’s Open coach, Peter Bell as one of the biggest influences on her Touch Football career to date and says that having him as her coach at the highest level is making her feel more comfortable in the lead up to the series. Representing Australia at the Open’s level at such a young age doesn’t seem to faze Caslick, who after representing the Australian 18’s Girls team last year made it her next goal to make the Women’s Open team. “I haven’t really thought about how young I actually am, I’m honoured to have had so much help… everyone has helped me so much.”Stay tuned to the website to meet the team’s other 17-year-old, Ashleigh Quinlan, in the coming days. There are plenty of ways to keep in touch with the 2012 Trans Tasman Series, which will be held at Mudgee’s Glen Willow Regional Sporting Complex from Thursday, 26 April to Saturday, 28 April 2012, including in the following ways:Websites:www.austouch.com.auwww.transtasman.mytouchfooty.com Facebook – www.facebook.com/touchfootballaustraliaTwitter – www.twitter.com/touchfootyaus (be sure to use the hashtag #transtasman2012 in your tweets)YouTube – www.youtube.com/touchfootballaus
Liverpool fullback Robertson to miss Napoli clashby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveAndrew Robertson is set to miss Liverpool’s Champions League clash with Napoli.Robertson is a doubt for Liverpool’s Champions League clash against Napoli on Tuesday night.Jurgen Klopp told Liverpool’s official website: “Robbo didn’t train today and we have to see. “It is not a major thing, it was more precautionary today, but it is not 100 per cent sure [he will be available].”We will have to test it tomorrow and then we will see.”Initially it was reported that Robertson had been cleared as he had travelled with the squad but he missed training on Monday morning with a slight knock. The Reds sold Alberto Moreno in the summer and did not sign a back-up left-back. This means James Milner or Joe Gomez is likely to play in defence if Robertson can not overcome his knock in time. About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — USA Cycling has hired Rob DeMartini as its president and CEO, giving the longtime New Balance boss the job of not only growing the sport at the grassroots level but preparing the nation’s elite athletes for success at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.The governing body announced DeMartini’s hiring in a statement Monday. He takes over for Derek Bouchard-Hall, who undertook a massive restructuring of USA Cycling before leaving the organization at year’s end to become CEO of Swiss cycling apparel company ASSOS.DeMartini, an avid cyclist, was hired primarily for his business acumen. He spent 20 years with Proctor & Gamble, then spent time with Tyson Foods, before taking over New Balance.He took the shoe and apparel company from annual revenues of $1.5 billion in 2007 to $4.4 billion last year, helping New Balance to regain its position as a leader in the running industry.The Associated Press
New Delhi: South American countries Peru and Chile may end up in Indian courts as both have locked horns in the country over GI (Geographical Indications) tag on ‘Pisco’ brandy. A GI tag is primarily an agricultural, natural or a manufactured product (handicrafts and industrial goods) originating from a definite geographical territory. Typically, such a name conveys an assurance of quality and distinctiveness, which is essentially attributable to the place of its origin. Also Read – Maruti cuts production for 8th straight month in SepWhile Peru has sought GI tag in India for ‘Pisco’ brandy, Chile opposed the move saying they also sell the same product with same name. The GI Registry office in India passed an order renaming the GI as “Peruvian Pisco” and issued a certificate of registration. Against this order, Peru filed an appeal before the Intellectual Property Appellate Board as they want the tag as “Pisco” only. The Intellectual property appellate board (IPAB) after hearing the case accepted the appeal of Peru and accordingly stated that the mark of the appellant “Pisco” eligible for registration. Also Read – Ensure strict implementation on ban of import of e-cigarettes: revenue to CustomsAccording to an official, Chile has raised opposition on this again. The official said that now Chile has to approach High Court as IPAB’s order can only be challenged in a High Court. Award of GI tag gives protection to a producer of those genuine products, which commands premium pricing in the domestic and international markets. Once GI protection is granted, no other producer can misuse the name to market similar products. It also provides comfort to customers about the authenticity of that product. The tag is initially granted for a period of ten years but can be renewed indefinitely.
Seoul: South Korea launched the world’s first nationwide 5G mobile networks two days early, its top mobile carriers said Thursday, giving a handful of users access in a late-night scramble to be the first providers of the super-fast wireless technology. Three top telecom providers – SK Telecom, KT and LG Uplus – began their 5G services at 11 pm local time Wednesday, despite previously announcing the launch date would be April 5. Hyper-wired South Korea has long had a reputation for technical prowess, and Seoul had made the 5G rollout a priority as it seeks to stimulate stuttering economic growth. Along with the US, China and Japan, South Korea had been racing to claim the title as the world’s first provider of the ultra-fast network. But speculation that US mobile carrier Verizon might start its 5G services early forced South Korean providers to hastily organise a late-night launch, Yonhap news agency reported. In the event, Verizon began rolling out its 5G services in Chicago and Minneapolis on Wednesday in the US, a week ahead of schedule. But according to Yonhap, the South Korean launches came two hours earlier. “SK Telecom today announced that it has activated 5G services for six celebrities representing Korea as of 11 pm April 3, 2019,” the country’s biggest mobile operator said in a news release Thursday. The celebrities – including two members of K-pop band EXO and Olympic ice-skating heroine Kim Yu-na – were “the world’s first 5G smartphone subscribers”, it said. Both KT and LG Uplus said they also went live at the same time, with a total of three specially-selected users: KT offered it to the wife of a technician setting up its network on the disputed island of Dokdo, while LG Uplus provided it to a television personality and her racing-driver husband. For general customers, the services will be available from Friday – the original launch date – when Samsung Electronics rolls out the Galaxy S10 5G, the world’s first available smartphone with the technology built in. Verizon’s network will work with Lenovo’s Moto Z3 smartphone fitted with a special accessory, while rival US carrier AT&T launched a 5G-based system in parts of 12 cities in December – although it is only accessible to invited users through a free hotspot device, rather than paying customers with mobiles. Qatari firm Ooredoo said it offers 5G services in and around Doha – but does not have devices available to use them – while Japan is also expected to roll out a limited deployment in 2019 before full services start in time for next year’s Tokyo Olympics. Experts say 5G will bring smartphones near-instantaneous connectivity – 20 times faster than 4G – allowing users to download entire movies in less than a second. The technology is crucial for the future development of devices such as self-driving vehicles and is expected to bring about 565 billion in global economic benefits by 2034, according to the London-based Global System for Mobile Communications, an industry alliance. The implications of the new network have pitted Washington against Beijing – whose firms dominate 5G technology — in an increasingly bitter standoff. The US has pressed its allies and major economies to avoid 5G solutions from Chinese-owned telecom giant Huawei, citing security risks that technological backdoors could give Beijing access to 5G-connected utilities and other components. Chinese entities, including 1,529 5G patents registered by Huawei, own a total of 3,400 patents – more than a third of the total, according to data analysis firm IPlytics. South Korea comes next, with its companies holding 2,051 patents, while US firms have 1,368 together. Neither KT nor SK Telecom use Huawei technology in their 5G networks, but it is a supplier to LG UPlus, the companies said.
Terrelle Pryor has not lived up to all the hype he had coming into the 2008 season as the most sought after high school recruit in the country.Ohio State’s football messiah has thrown eight interceptions so far this season. That is more than any OSU starting quarterback at this point in the season since before 2003.His completion percentage is the lowest of any OSU quarterback since 2004, at 51 percent. That was the year Troy Smith and Justin Zwick shared starting duties and accumulated the worst season record this decade.Pryor’s passing yardage isn’t impressive either, sitting at 1169 through seven games. OSU hasn’t had that low of a mark since 2003, when Craig Krenzel and Scott McMullen shared the starting spot.Pryor isn’t even the top performer from his 2007 high school recruiting class. Most members of the college football world know the names Jacory Harris of Miami (Fla.), Jordan Jefferson of LSU and Andrew Luck of Stanford.Two of those three players’ teams boast better records than OSU and none of them have thrown for more interceptions than Pryor.Pryor also has the lowest completion percentage among the group and it’s not because he is used more. He’s third in attempts among the four.Two of the three other also have more passing yards than Pryor.All Ohio State fans remember where they were when Pryor signed, as if it were the second coming of Troy Smith. Looking back now, the signing of Harris, Jefferson or Luck may have been the better choice.Harris even has his name on most Heisman voters’ radars. Pryor hasn’t even sniffed that territory.This historic of a bust is only comparable to one instance in Ohio football history, in the professional ranks. It happened in 1999 when a quarterback named Tim Couch was drafted first overall by the Cleveland Browns in the 1999 NFL draft.Cleveland fans were excited for Couch coming into the league to be their savior, but it was not to be. Couch only mustered one playoff appearance and sunk into mediocrity.Couch was picked ahead of Pro-Bowlers Donovan McNabb and Dante Culpepper who have had success since they were drafted into the league, McNabb more than Culpepper.Pryor had his one great season last year behind a strong defense and a superior quarterback, who Pryor somehow started ahead of.He is destined to ride off into the NFL draft after next season to try to prove himself at the professional level.Having accomplished next to nothing as a college quarterback, Pryor will leave Ohio State to rebuild itself after one of the worst recruiting choices in our program’s history.Terrelle Pryor, prove me wrong.
The No. 3 Ohio State men’s basketball team kept on rolling Friday as the Buckeyes beat Jackson State, 85-41. Jackson State hung around with the Buckeyes to start the game and even led, 11-10, six minutes into the contest. An 18-0 OSU run gave the Buckeyes a commanding lead they would not relinquish. Jackson State coach Tevester Anderson said the Buckeyes had no weaknesses and were every bit as good as the University of North Carolina, who is ranked as the No. 1 team in the nation. “They have a very good basketball team,” Anderson said. “I think this team has a chance to get back to the Final Four. I don’t see any weakness at all.” OSU sophomore forward Jared Sullinger led the way for the Buckeyes, scoring 20 points and adding 11 rebounds in just 21 minutes of playing time. Friday featured more than just OSU’s preseason All-American, something Sullinger didn’t seem to mind. “I love watching this team play,” Sullinger said. “Especially the young guys that don’t get to play a lot. It was pretty awesome to kind of sit the bench a little bit.” Coach Thad Matta, known for not using many players off the bench, used 10 players before the five-minute mark in the first half. Matta said it was important to get more players some game experience. “We’ve got to continue as much as we can to develop all those guys,” Matta said. “It’s different with the game uniform on and against an opponent. It was good to get the young guys as many minutes as we did.” With 3:30 remaining in the first half, sophomore forward J.D. Weatherspoon caught an alley-oop from sophomore guard Aaron Craft and completed a two-handed dunk that brought the crowd to its feet. “For a split second, I thought I threw the ball too far away,” Craft said. “But he shut me up pretty fast. “I’m pretty sure his shoulder was somewhere close to the rim. It was pretty awesome.” Weatherspoon finished with eight points. OSU continued to extend its lead with a flurry of fast breaks and dunks as the Buckeyes took a 46-17 lead into the half. The margin only widened after the intermission. The OSU defense stifled the Tigers all night. They forced 26 turnovers, which led to 41 Buckeye points on the other end of the floor. Overall, OSU held JSU to 35 percent shooting from the field including 22 percent from behind the arc. The Buckeyes shot 48 percent and 20 percent from 3-point range. Sophomore guard Jordan Sibert notched his first double-digit scoring performance of the season, finishing with 11 points, including three 3-pointers. “That’s what I’ve been working on all spring and summer,” Sibert said. “I think I got a lot of confidence from my teammates and my coaches to take and make wide-open shots.” Sophomore forward Deshaun Thomas and senior guard William Buford also scored in double figures, both finishing with 11 points. The Buckeyes are next in action Monday against North Florida. The opening tip is set for 8:30 p.m. at the Schottenstein Center.
Barcelona only won one of three matches at the International Champions Cup, but Coach Ernesto Valverde was happy with the performance of his young playersDespite leaving fans with many doubts after their United States tour, Barcelona Coach Ernesto Valverde reported happy with the performance of the teams’ young players.“Today against Milan we dominated the game but they scored the only goal, but I liked what I saw from a number of the young players,” he reportedly said to the Football España and the media after their last match in U.S. soil.“Ricard Puig, Juan Miranda and other players from the B-team all impressed me against very strong opposition,” he added.Quiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.“I trust that not only will they form part of the future for Barcelona, but also part of the present,” Valverde concluded.But the Barça boss is not letting the performance of his team in the International Champions Cup interfere with his work, as the team has “a lot of positives to take from the three matches themselves.”Barcelona will play against Sevilla on Sunday, for a chance to win the Spanish Super Cup trophy.
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp feels that their disappointing 2-0 defeat at Red Red Star Belgrade had nothing to do with being away from homeThe Reds surrendered their lead in Group C on Tuesday night after Milan Pavkov’s superb double earn Red Star a shock victory.It means Liverpool drop to second in the group table with another tricky trip in the Champions League awaiting them in Paris Saint-Germain on November 28.Liverpool have lost both of their away games in Europe this season, but Klopp insists it had nothing to do with the team’s display.“It made sense to make a few changes, a few we had to make and a few we wanted to,” Klopp told the club website. “In the end, it’s easy to say it didn’t work out.Crouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.“Of course, we need to make sure it will not happen again otherwise it will be difficult because the next game is already an away game again and the last one is a very difficult home game against Napoli.“We have to make sure in Paris we do better. There were a lot of moments when we could get in control of the game and we didn’t do it, we made the wrong decisions.“I don’t think that’s anything to do with [playing] away or home, it just happened.“We will talk about that and will do it better 100 per cent, but for tonight we can’t change it anymore, unfortunately.”In the meantime, Liverpool will host Fulham in the Premier League this Sunday.