Watch Umphrey’s McGee Jam With Horn Section On New Year’s Eve

first_imgFor their New Year’s Eve performance at the Fillmore Auditorium, rockers Umphrey’s McGee welcomed back the Mad Dog’s Filthy Little Secret horn section for a monumental celebration. Umphrey’s has collaborated with the horn players in years past, and the reunion was certainly welcomed by the fans.Check out this horn-fueled performance of “Wife Soup” below, thanks to YouTube user Kyle Miller:You can also watch “Bridgeless > Puppet Strings” from this show as well:Check the full setlist below:Setlist: Umphrey’s McGee at Fillmore Auditorium, Denver, CO – 12/31/15Set I: Bathing Digits > Wappy Sprayberry > Puppet String, Mad Love, Bridgeless > Puppet String, Women, Wine & Song*, Speak Up*&Set II: Bad Friday, Wife Soup*, Red Tape*, Make It Right, Ringo > Blackbird (Beatles) jam > Educated Guess, Example 1*, Tempted*%Set III: Bright Lights, Big City* > Auld Lang Syne*, JaJunk > Bittersweet Haji > JaJunk, Push the Pig* > Space Funk Booty, Ignition*$, 40’s ThemeEncore: Much Obliged > Bridgeless, Christmas In Hollis*#* = W/ Mad Dog’s Filthy Little Secret& = debut% = debut cover by Squeeze$ = debut cover by R Kelly# = debut cover by Run DMClast_img read more

Two Dead in Stabbing at San Jose (CA) Church

first_img“Unhoused individuals were brought into the church to get them out of the cold,” the department tweeted. It was unclear exactly how many people were wounded, but some of the injuries were life-threatening, police said. San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo initially tweeted that a suspect had been arrested, but police later said no arrest could be confirmed. KTVU-TV reported that a 22-year-old man was apprehended in the stabbing. The stabbing happened at Grace Baptist Church in San Jose, where police said on Twitter that no services were taking place.center_img SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) – Two people died and multiple others were injured in a stabbing Sunday night at a church in California where homeless people had been brought to shelter from the cold weather, police said. Video shown by news outlets near the church showed several ambulances and police cars, and police tape and traffic cones cordoning off the road.last_img read more

Election of Matt Zimmerman as Shawnee council president moments after he was sworn in prompts questions about open meetings law, experience

first_imgMatt Zimmerman taking the oath of office Monday. Photo by Jerry LaMartina.By Jerry LaMartinaOn Monday, Shawnee resident Matthew Zimmerman took the oath of office as a new councilman representing Ward 1, his first experience in elected office.Moments later, he became president of the entire council and next-in-line for Shawnee mayor should Michelle Distler no longer be able to serve.The election of a brand new member to become council president just minutes after he was sworn into office has raised some eyebrows around Shawnee City Hall, with some elected officials questioning whether Zimmerman has the experience necessary to fill the role, and at least one citizen wondering whether councilmembers must have discussed the idea of nominating him for the position beforehand, thus violating the Kansas Open Meetings Act.Shawnee resident Ray Erlichman posted a piece on his blog Wednesday suggesting that some of the councilmembers who voted in favor of Zimmerman as president — Jim Neighbor, Mike Kemmling, Justin Adrian, Mickey Sandifer and Lindsey Constance in addition to Zimmerman himself — may have communicated about nominating him before Monday’s meeting, which would have constituted a KOMA violation. In response, City Attorney Ellis Rainey conducted an investigation. After speaking with the three new members as well as Neighbor, who seconded Adrian’s motion to nominate Zimmerman to the presidency, Rainey determined no KOMA violation had occurred.“The conclusion was none of the officials had any communication regarding the election of Mr. Zimmerman as Council President prior to the Council Meeting,” Rainey said. “There was therefore no communication or conduct regarding the election of Mr. Zimmerman, and therefore no action contrary to the text or purpose of the Kansas Open Meetings Act.”Erlichman has indicated that he is pursuing the matter with the district attorney’s office.Still, Zimmerman’s lack of council experience has left some of his governing body peers concerned. The council president is next in line to become mayor if the sitting mayor becomes unable to serve, and the president leads council committee meetings.Both Ward 2 Councilman Eric Jenkins and Ward 3 Councilwoman Stephanie Meyer voted against Zimmerman as president. Jenkins said that he didn’t know why Zimmerman was elected president and that he thought there was no benefit in having a council president with no council experience.“He wasn’t even on the council for half an hour,” Jenkins said. “You should at least have some time on the council, some experience…We don’t know his skills, abilities or ideological position. If (the mayor) can’t serve, this guy would be the mayor of Shawnee. Here he is the first in line to be mayor of the city, and that’s kind of scary. We’ll find out over time. He may be great. It really showed a lack of maturity in the council members who voted for him.”Meyer said that she had great respect for Zimmerman and considered him a friend, but that she believed the role should be filled by someone who understands the inner-workings of the governing body, especially during what will be a busy year for the city as it tackles big issues like its economic development policy and hiring a new city manager.“We need someone (as council president) who knows about that process,” Meyer said. “I think it creates an uncomfortable situation for everyone, especially the new people.”For her part, Distler said the election of a freshly sworn in council member as president was unprecedented in her time with the city, and that Zimmerman’s election surprised her and caused her some concern.“I haven’t had opportune time to absorb it yet,” Distler said. “Normally, the president position — it’s who would become mayor if anything were to happen to me. It’s usually someone with more experience. I don’t know what to think. They’re also the person who heads the council committee meetings, and I don’t know how you do that without experience.”Neighbor, who was council president in 2013 and 2014, said he has known Zimmerman through the Shawnee Rotary Club for a number of years and that he thought Zimmerman would do a good job.“He brings a wealth of knowledge from the private sector in construction,” Neighbor said. “Matt’s a fast learner. He’s made a diligent effort in the past year or so to be a student of the proceedings, attended lots of council and committee meetings. With everything our council has been through over the years, I think that’s a good idea to bring new ideas.”Zimmerman himself acknowledges that he has a “steep learning curve” ahead of him, and said he was caught off-guard and a bit apprehensive about being nominated for the council presidency. He even said he believes that council should review the process for electing the president. But he added that he hopes lack of “baggage” could be an asset in the role.“Part of what drove me to run for the council is I thought I could provide a higher level of harmony,” he said.last_img read more

Locals saw Baku final for free, Times reports

first_imgMeanwhile, The Guardian say Chelsea are waiting for a formal approach from Juventus for Maurizio Sarri.It comes amid reports that head coach Sarri has told Chelsea he wants to leave the club.The Guardian say Juve will probably have to pay £5m in order to secure Sarri’s release.Embed from Getty Images Stories in Saturday’s newspapers involving Chelsea…Many local fans reportedly attended the Europa League final for free.The Times reports that authorities in Baku ordered turnstiles to be opened to the public during the first half of the match between Chelsea and Arsenal because they were embarrassed by the thousands of empty seats.AdChoices广告The newspaper say the decision was taken without authorisation from Uefa, who have faced criticism for the choice of venue for the final.Both clubs returned some of their small allocations of tickets and those fans who did travel faced an awkward journey.Embed from Getty Images The Daily Mail say Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia will hold talks with Real Madrid with a view to completing a deal for Eden Hazard to join the Spanish club.Gary Cahill, who is leaving Chelsea this summer, is wanted by Aston Villa, The Sun reports.And the Daily Star continue to link Chelsea with a possible move for Barcelona’s former Liverpool playmaker Philippe Coutinho.Barca are said to be ready to listen to offers for the Brazilian, who has also been linked with Manchester United.center_img Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Siblings allegedly held captive were robotic, marched for hours in circles, former neighbor says

first_img(ABC News) An investigation is underway in Perris, Calif., after 13 siblings ages 2 to 29 were allegedly held captive in a home, some shackled to their beds with chains and padlocks, authorities said.(PERRIS, Calif.) — The 13 siblings who were rescued from their parents’ home, where they had been allegedly held captive, starved and, in some cases, shackled, were seen walking military-style, single-file, according to a former neighbor.The brothers and sisters — ages two to 29 — were found at their parents’ home in Perris, California, Sunday, where some were allegedly “shackled to their beds with chains and padlocks in dark and foul-smelling surroundings,” the Riverside County Sheriff’s Office said. They appeared malnourished and dirty, the sheriff’s department said.The victims have since been hospitalized for treatment while their parents, Louise Turpin and David Turpin, have been arrested.Louise Turpin’s sister Elizabeth Flores told ABC News she hasn’t seen her sister in 20 years, but recalled how the children’s lives were extremely regimented when she lived with them two decades earlier. Flores said the children had to ask permission to speak, and said they would look to their mother for cues about whether they could answer her when Flores tried to talk to them.Flores, who was in her late teens at the time, said her sister wouldn’t allow her to invite friends over or allow her to call friends. She also described disturbing incidents involving her sister allegedly watching her shower with her husband, though she stressed that David Turpin never touched her.Flores emphasized that she never witnessed any abuse of the children while she lived in the home. She added that she cares about her nieces and nephews greatly and hopes to see them overcome what they endured, saying that she wants them to know that she loves them and that family members tried to visit them over the years.Mike Clifford, a neighbor of the family at their former home in Murrieta, California, works the overnight shift and said he’d come home at midnight and see the children in the upstairs rooms marching from room to room, single-file. The marching would last for hours, he told ABC News.On the few occasions that Clifford’s wife saw any of the children, she said they answered in unison, in a monotone and robotic way, according to Clifford.Multiple neighbors said they only saw the children when they would pile in their family van late at night. They would also only return late at night.The victims were found after one of the children — a 17-year-old girl — allegedly escaped from the Southern California home through a window Sunday morning and called 911. Responding officers said the teen was slightly emaciated and “appeared to be only 10 years old.”Seven of the alleged victims were adults and the others were children as young as two.David Turpin, 57, and Louise Turpin, 49, were arrested on charges of torture and child endangerment, the sheriff’s office said, and are expected to be arraigned Thursday. They will be represented by attorneys with the Riverside County Public Defender’s Office. Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Relatedlast_img read more