Southill struggle

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Legal aid giant absorbs another firm after partner quits to join judiciary

first_imgThe principal of a Coventry firm which has merged with one of the country’s largest legal aid providers says he did not want to shoulder the full regulatory burden of running a practice after his partner left to become a district judge.Hot on the heels of merging with Enfield-based Kent Solicitors, national firm Tuckers announced this week that it is merging with Murray Brankin.Karl Brankin, principal at Murray Brankin and now a Tuckers partner, said: ‘On the news that my partner, David Murray, was leaving to take up a judicial post – the prospect of carrying the full burden of regulatory and compliance responsibilities with the Legal Aid Agency and Solicitors Regulation Authority whilst acting as both COFA and COLP was not particularly attractive. This merger will enable me to concentrate on criminal defence work as my priority.’  Karl BrankinMurray was appointed a district judge last month and started his judicial post at Walsall Magistrates’ Court on Monday.Adam Makepeace, Tuckers practice director, said: ‘Following our recent merger with Kent Solicitors in London, we are pleased to be able to continue with our plans to join with other like-minded criminal defence firms to try and battle through the multitude of problems that criminal defence firms face – in terms of managing to survive in the face of stagnant legal aid rates, falling case volumes, the farce of cases currently “released under investigation” and the need for efficiencies through digitalisation.’ Tuckers is currently talking to other firms and ‘whilst it envisages taking a few months to ensure the proper integration of Kent Solicitors and Murray Brankin, it is hopeful that there will be further merger activity during the course of this year’.last_img read more

Know The Health Risks Of Wildfire Smoke And Take Precautions

first_imgFacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Smoke produced by several active wildfires has resulted in air quality advisories for many regions of the state in recent weeks, including Southeast, Southwest, Southcentral, Central and the Eastern Interior of Alaska. Persons of any age with conditions like asthma, COPD, heart disease or chest pain are especially sensitive to smoke inhalation.The likelihood that a person will experience health effects from inhalation of wildfire smoke is determined by several factors, including the composition of the smoke, the intensity and length of exposure, and the health of the exposed person. If you have a respiratory or heart condition and your symptoms become worse, contact your health care provider or call 911 in the event of an emergency. Alaskans should check for air quality advisories on the DEC’s Air Online Services) and take appropriate precautions to limit exposure to wildfire smoke.center_img Wildfire smoke inhalation can cause a variety of health effects if inhaled in large enough quantities, including asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) attacks, chest pain, coughing, congestion, fatigue, headaches, irritated sinuses, rapid heartbeat, runny nose, scratchy throat, shortness of breath, stinging eyes and wheezing. Children are generally more sensitive to smoke inhalation because they breathe more air per pound of body weight than adults, and because their bodies and airways are still developing, according to a release from AKFireInfo.last_img read more

Patience, perspective needed for Bundy in Orioles rotation

first_imgQuestioning the Orioles’ decision to put Dylan Bundy in the starting rotation is fair, but scrapping the experiment after one disappointing start as some have already suggested would lack patience and perspective.The results weren’t pretty on Sunday as Bundy was too slow to establish his secondary stuff and gave up three home runs — matching the total surrendered in his first 38 innings this season — but his 70 pitches were the most he’d thrown in a professional game since a 73-pitch outing for Single-A Frederick on Aug. 5, 2014. It was an important step for a 23-year-old who has experienced a cruel number of physical ailments since being selected with the fourth overall pick of the 2011 amateur draft.We all know that the Orioles giving Bundy this opportunity isn’t as much about his success out of the bullpen as it is a reflection of the failures of their starting rotation, which entered Monday ranked 14th in the American League and 28th in the majors with a 5.14 ERA. Given his restrictions in terms of pitch counts and innings, expecting Bundy to be the rotation savior would be unfair, but he could at least help stop some of the bleeding as executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette looks for starting pitching help on the trade market.Even if Bundy isn’t going to be unleashed for a 110-pitch outing in the immediate future — nor should he be with his history since undergoing Tommy John surgery three years ago — giving him the ball for abbreviated starts still beats the alternative of giving more starts to Ubaldo Jimenez, doesn’t it? Other internal options physically equipped to throw 100 pitches haven’t exactly gotten the job done this season, have they?It’s certainly against the norm, but I’d rather take a multi-start look at Bundy for 70 or 75 pitches — with a long reliever behind him — over any other internal option the Orioles have behind Chris Tillman, Kevin Gausman, and Yovani Gallardo in the current rotation. It’s not as though Baltimore was getting consistent and successful 100-pitch outings from Jimenez, Mike Wright, and Tyler Wilson to preserve its bullpen anyway.We just can’t expect Bundy to morph into a conventional starter overnight. The fact that he’s already contributed in meaningful ways is a great bonus for a contending club, but the most important goals for him this season continue to center around his long-term health and development, the reason why some were opposed to making Bundy a starter this soon in the first place.His 1.42 ERA and 23 strikeouts over his last 19 innings in relief put Bundy in the rotation conversation, but starting is a different animal when the opposition is specifically preparing for you to take the hill that night.It will be interesting to see how the Orioles proceed with Bundy, whose fastball velocity dropped to the low 90s in his final inning of work on Sunday after it sat in the mid-90s over his first three frames. That isn’t exactly a sign that he’s ready to further increase his pitch count — his 2016 high before Sunday’s 70 was 57 — but remember he wasn’t blowing hitters away through the first two months of the season until manager Buck Showalter began giving him at least three days of rest between relief appearances.Let’s see how the young right-hander responds to the heavier workload and a set schedule between outings before we just send him back to the bullpen for the rest of the season.Whether you agree with making Bundy a starter right now or not, drawing definitive conclusions from Sunday’s outcome is premature. The fact that we’re even having this conversation shows how far Bundy has come after a long and frustrating three years.last_img read more

Toronto to reportedly house the newest Overwatch League team

first_imgToronto will be the next expansion team city to be added to the Overwatch League come its second season, according to a report by Over.gg.The publication sources unnamed parties close to the league, claiming esports organisation Splyce will manage the team. It’s unclear whether or not Splyce actually bought the Toronto spot or if the organisation is simply being brought to solely manage the franchise from an administrative standpoint. Expansion buy-ins allegedly cost upwards of $60m (£45.8m) for the second season. Splyce has had teams in Overwatch in the past but left once the league was announced. The organisation is also based in Rochester, New York near the Canadian border, around 170 miles from Toronto itself. Toronto fits in fairly well when it comes to standards of other OWL cities as the largest city in Canada and a big presence in traditional sports with a team in every American league except the NFL, supplementing it with the CFL. Toronto has also played host to esports tournaments throughout the year such as Northern Arena at the Ontario Science Centre. Ontario Space CentreThe Overwatch League currently has nine teams based in the United States, two in Asia and one in Europe and it has been stated in the past that Blizzard will be adding six expansion teams coming into the second season. Atlanta, Georgia and Guangzhou, China have already been confirmed as two new expansion cities while Paris, France has been rumoured, but not confirmed from Activision Blizzard.Expansion teams have until September 9th to sign free agents and if reports hold true, at least two more teams will be announced in the coming months. Esports Insider says: If rumours hold and Toronto, in fact, will be the next home of an Overwatch League it will be the 11th team based in North America. Blizzard has said it’s actively trying to expand outside of North America but to the outside world, and many European fans, it frankly doesn’t seem like it. Regardless, we will be keeping our eyes on more information surrounding the first Canadian Overwatch League team. Join our Discord Server!last_img read more

Hantuchova takes Pattaya Open 2011 crown

first_imgThe first set was over quickly as Hantuchova expertly attacked her opponent’s serve and did not give Errani any opportunity to play her game.Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia holds the trophy after winning her final match over Sara Errani of Italy in the PTT Pattaya Open tennis tournament in Pattaya, Sunday, Feb. 13. (AP Photo/Apichart Weerawong)The Italian finally got on the scoreboard in the opening game of the 2nd set, however any hopes she had of a comeback were quickly snuffed out by Hantuchova, who held serve and then broke her opponent to take a 2–1 lead.  Errani did win one more game to make it 5–2, but once again Hantuchova stepped up her game and served out to take the match and the Pattaya title on her first visit to the beachside venue.“It was a great match,” the 32nd-ranked Hantuchova said.  “I didn’t lose a set five matches in a row which is good news.  It shows that I’m really focused and physically and mentally strong in this kind of condition.“Today I knew it was going to be tough,” continued the new champion.  “But I stayed focused and played point by point, not giving anything away, trying to get the job done.  I was really hungry for another title.”Sara Errani returned to take part in the doubles final with her friend and compatriot Roberta Vinci, their opponents were Zheng Jie and Sun Shengnan from China.  It was the Chinese pair who won the opening set of the match by 6–3.  In the 2nd set the match went with serve until the eighth game when the Italian pair broke their opponents to lead 5–3 and duly served out the set.  The super tie-break was won by Vinci and Errani 10–5 and was some consolation for the Italian’s loss in the singles final.  (Source Pentangle Promotions)The doubles champions and runners-up pose with their trophies.Daniela Hantuchova, right, poses with Dusit Thani Pattaya General Manager Chatchawal Supachayanont following her straight sets win over Sara Errani of Italy.Hantuchova serves to Errani during the first set.Errani scrambles to chase down a cross court forehand from Hantuchova. Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia secured her first WTA title since 2007, cruising to a convincing 6–0, 6–2 victory over Sara Errani of Italy in just one hour and 16 minutes on Sunday afternoon at the Dusit Thani Pattaya.  She did it on the back of a power game which had her opponent running from side to side of the court and despite some deft touches from Errani, she was unable to gain a foothold into the match.last_img read more

Indian football coach Constantine announces 30-man probable for Jordan friendly

first_imgWho will take over the reins of the senior team head coach position of India after Stephen Constantine?Advertisement yghiNBA Finals | Brooklyn VsrWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E7uu( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) k24Would you ever consider trying this?😱5hfqcnCan your students do this? 🌚8Roller skating! Powered by Firework Stephen Constantine announced a 30-member probable squad for India’s forthcoming friendly match against Jordan at the King Abdullah II International Stadium in Amman on November 17. However, the coach had to face a lot of criticism from the fans on social media as he left out a lot of deserving players.Advertisement And as usual, the fans are furious with itIndia should be oozing with confidence after eking out a 0-0 draw against China last month. Jordan, on the other hand, is coming on the back of a 1-2 defeat through the hands of World Cup runners-up Croatia. This will be the first time the senior team of both the sides will cross swords.Ths squad will assemble on the capital on November 11th after which the squad will be trimmed down to a 23 member one. Here is the probable squad:Advertisement GOALKEEPERS: Gurpreet Singh Sandhu, Amrinder Singh, Vishal Kaith, Arindam Bhattacharjya.DEFENDERS: Pritam Kotal, Nishu Kumar, Sarthak Golui, Sandesh Jhingan, Anas Edathodika, Salam Ranjan Singh, Subhasish Bose, Narayan Das, Jerry Lalrinzuala.Advertisement MIDFIELDERS: Udanta Singh, Nikhil Poojary, Pronay Halder, Rowllin Borges, Anirudh Thapa, Jackichand Singh, Vinit Rai, Germanpreet Singh, Halicharan Narzary, Ashique Kuruniyan, Bikash Jairu.FORWARDS: Sunil Chhetri, Jeje Lalpekhlua, Sumeet Passi, Farukh Choudhary, Balwant Singh, Manvir Singh. Advertisementlast_img read more

Storm celebrates in style

first_imgGippsland Storm Elite Development Netball Club recently celebrated the 20th anniversary of the founding of the club back in 1998….[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription. B last_img

Captain Hunt to the rescue as Leafs edge Nitros in OT

first_imgAnother overtime. But this time the Good Guys won.Captain Sawyer Hunt got the last laugh on this former mates from the Bavarian City, scoring with 1:36 remaining in overtime to spark the Nelson Leafs to a 3-2 Kootenay International Junior Hockey League victory over the Kimberley Dynamiters Wednesday night at the NDCC Arena.The win, the first of the season for the Leafs over the Eddie Mountain squad, allows Nelson to leapfrog over the Castlegar Rebels and Grand Forks Border Bruins and into second place in the Murdoch Division standings.last_img read more