Instead of Selling Her $1.7 Million Home, Woman is Giving It Away to the Winner of a Letter-Writing Contest

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmailEmailShare to RedditRedditRedditShare to MoreAddThisMoreIf you are looking to live in a magnificent $1.7 million home in the scenic hills of Canada, then this woman is asking you to write her a letter.Ever since Alla Wagner suffered a back injury last year, she has been unable to manage the stairs of her 5,000-square-foot home in Millarville, Alberta.Home care nurses suggested that she upgrade the house to accommodate her disability, but she couldn’t bear to change its beloved structure. “I view this home as a work of art and I don’t want to make changes to it that’s going to compromise it’s look and the value and craftsmanship that’s in this home,” Wagner told CTV News.RELATED: Café That Hires and Feeds the Homeless Has Just Built a Village for Their Rough Sleeping EmployeesShe spent several months trying to sell the home, but to no avail. Instead of giving up, however, Wagner got an idea.Wagner is hosting a letter-writing contest in which she is asking strangers to write about why they want to live in her home.The “Write a Letter, Win a House” contest will be accepting up to 68,000 submissions. As a means of Wagner recouping the cost of her home, participants are asked to pay $25 for their application.LOOK: America’s First Permitted, 3D-printed House Was Built in Texas in Less Than 24 HoursIf the letter application fees don’t help Wagner to break even within the next few months, she will refund all of the $25 admissions to the entrants. Additionally, if the contest succeeds, she plans on giving away 5% of its proceeds to the Calgary Women’s Shelter.Wagner has already started reviewing letters for the contest, and she says she has been heartened by the submissions.“Just that one family that will end up in this home, in this house and make it into a home for themselves and be happy here, as happy as I have been, I know it’s going to be a beautiful story in the end.”“It would be a beautiful way for someone not giving up hope,” said Wagner. “I’m not going to give up hope. I believe that when this contest works, I know it’s going to be well worthwhile.”(WATCH the video below) – Photo by Alla WagnerBe Sure And Spread The News About This Splendid Offer With Your Friends On Social MediaAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmailEmailShare to RedditRedditRedditShare to MoreAddThisMorelast_img read more

After college, Anderson swims on

first_imgAfter college, Anderson swims onThe former Gophers swimmer hopes to qualify for the 2016 Olympics in Brazil.Sam HarperFormer Gophers swimmer Jared Anderson trains at the University Aquatic Center on May 30, 2014. Anderson is hoping to qualify for the 2016 Olympics. Joe PerovichJune 4, 2014Jump to CommentsShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare via EmailPrintThousands of seniors graduated from the University of Minnesota in spring 2013, and many of them had aspirations of joining the workforce in the near future.For Jared Anderson, a former Gophers swimmer who graduated last year, graduation meant the continued pursuit of a dream.“[When] you get out of college, you’re 21 or 22, and you don’t have any way to keep [swimming]. You’re kind of expected to retire,” Anderson said.But instead of retiring, Anderson, now 24, is hoping to compete in the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. He’s part of a small group of former Gophers swimmers who train together with ambitions of reaching their sport’s next level.Minnesota’s head men’s and women’s coach Kelly Kremer works closely with the swimmers.“To see young people … put real life on hold and pursue a dream … and not want to retire just because they graduate from college, I really admire that, and I want to give everything to that,” Kremer said.Anderson, who helped start the group, specializes in the breaststroke. He recorded the fifth-fastest time at Minnesota in the 100-yard breaststroke in 2012.He has already qualified for the 2014 Phillips 66 National Championships, which will take place in Irvine, Calif., in August. While there, he’ll attempt to qualify for the U.S. national team.In the meantime, Anderson must find a way to support training and traveling costs. One way he’s doing that is through Dreamfuel — a crowdsourced funding website similar to Kickstarter, but for athletes.Half of the money he raises will go toward swim camps that Anderson and his brother, Trent, are hosting to help raise funds to build a freshwater well in El Salvador. Anderson has tentative plans with his brother to deliver the donations in person this December. But for now, he spends his time training for the important three months ahead.The other half of his money raised will go toward his trips to the Santa Clara Grand Prix and the national championships this summer. Josh Hall, another member of the training group, was a teammate of Anderson’s at Minnesota who’s also attempting to qualify for the 2016 Olympics.Hall said the group practices twice a day on average. In college, the swimmers had more downtime.“[We’d] swim and then go take a nap,” Hall said.But now, a normal day involves swimming, lifting weights and often a shift at work.In addition to training, Anderson writes for SwimSwam.com, a swimming news publication. However, most of Anderson’s focus is reserved for the pool.If Anderson doesn’t qualify for the national team this summer, he said he plans to forge ahead and work to make it until 2016.Hall, who swam next to Anderson for the past four years, doesn’t believe Anderson has reached his peak.“For Jared, the best years are ahead,” he said.After his last meet in college, Anderson didn’t feel a sense of closure — he wanted to continue to reach the highest level of excellence in the sport he loved.“I think I still have better swimming ahead of me,” Anderson said. “The thought was: ‘I’m still enjoying it, and I’m still getting better, so why stop at this point?’”last_img read more

Udall, Heinrich: Coronavirus Bill Includes Direct Payments, Major Unemployment Insurance Expansion For New Mexicans

first_imgU.S. SENATE News:WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. Senators Tom Udall (D-N.M.) and Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.) helped secure extensive workers relief provisions in the emergency coronavirus response bill, including direct payments to New Mexico families and an emergency four-month expansion of unemployment insurance (UI) worth an additional $600 per week. The third congressional COVID-19 funding package that passed the Senate Wednesday, and the House passed today, also includes protections for furloughed workers that safeguard employer-provided health insurance.The direct payments will provide the vast majority of New Mexicans with a one-time $1,200 payment, with married couples receiving $2,400, with an additional $500 for each child. The payment amounts start to phase down above income levels of $75,000 for individuals and $150,000 for joint filers, and completely phase out above $100,000 and $200,000 respectively. One independent estimate of an earlier but similar version of the proposal estimated the average New Mexico family would receive over $1,800 and the state’s population as a whole would receive over $1.8 billion combined. The payments are based on 2019 or 2018 tax returns, and include those without income tax liability. If no return is available, the payments will be made through information in 2019 Social Security Benefit Statements. They are expected to be made as early as three weeks after final passage, according to the Department of the Treasury.The expansion of unemployment assistance means more workers’ will see assistance that covers more of their lost wages, with many workers receiving 100% of their previous pay. The expansion also opens up the unemployment insurance program for the self-employed and part-time gig workers for the next four months, who would not otherwise have been eligible to apply for unemployment insurance. The bipartisan funding bill expands the maximum unemployment benefit by $600 per week to meet the unprecedented need from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and ensures that laid-off workers have more means to make ends meet during a time of public health closures. The agreement ensures that all workers are protected whether they work for businesses small, medium or large, along with those who are self-employed or work in the gig economy. The provisions also allow workers to get unemployment insurance more quickly and allow furloughed workers to stay on as employees and receive health benefits while receiving UI so they are ready to quickly resume work with their employer and restart the American economy when the COVID-19 pandemic draws to a close.  “Across the country and throughout New Mexico, workers have lost their jobs and are facing unprecedented economic hardship – almost overnight and through no fault of their own. The American people deserve our full support during this unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic, and help is on the way to New Mexico families and workers,” Udall said. “The bill passed this week puts workers and working families first—over corporate executive bonuses and no-strings-attached corporate bailouts. It puts money into the hands of all New Mexico families that need it and every worker losing a job. This funding is vital to our economic future because it will help families today with their bills while helping to alleviate some of the stresses of tomorrow—money in the bank today and a better chance at a job to return to in the future. I will continue to fight for all New Mexicans to ensure that working people have what they need to stay healthy while providing for themselves and their families.” “Workers who have lost their jobs—even if only temporarily—are deeply worried about how they can support their families who depend on their paychecks,” Heinrich said. “Unemployment insurance will serve as an essential lifeline for them during this crisis. I’m proud that our negotiations secured a massive expansion of benefits and eligibility for the unemployment insurance program so that all workers in New Mexico impacted by this economic upheaval can receive the support they need. Democrats also fought to double the direct cash payments to working Americans. I will hold the administration accountable for delivering this much needed relief to New Mexico families as soon as possible so they can have the peace of mind they need to ride out this storm.”The New Mexico senators also advocated for a provision that was included in the bill to enable paid leave for New Mexicans who work at the national labs or as federal contractors at other federal facilities in the state, if they cannot perform telework due to the nature of their duties. Without this provision, potentially thousands of New Mexicans working at the labs and other federal sites would be forced to drain their leave and eventually lose pay if they are unable to telework because their job cannot be performed remotely. The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act is the third ‘phase’ of coronavirus response passed by Congress.  That bill is expected to be passed by the House of Representatives on Friday and President Trump has committed to signing it into law as soon as possible thereafter. The bill also includes unprecedented direct support to small businesses to enable them to keep paying employees during this public health emergency [link to small biz release] and a major investment in the needs of hospitals and frontline health care workers who are faced with rapidly increasing numbers of COVID-19 patients.Udall and Heinrich also voted for the second ‘phase,’ the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, to provide free nation-wide testing for COVID-19 and initial economic relief for the impacts of the pandemic and the associated public health response.  In addition, Udall and Heinrich voted for the first measure – an $8.3 billion supplemental appropriations bill, to provide the first wave of support for the country’s public health infrastructure and social safety net programs.last_img read more

Udall, Congress Successfully Push Treasury To Correct Exclusion Of Tribally-Owned Businesses From Paycheck Protection Program

first_imgU.S. Sen. Tom UdallU.S. SENATE News:SANTA FE — U.S. Sen. Tom Udall (D-N.M.) issued the following statement Friday after the U.S. Department of Treasury, Small Business Administration (SBA) reversed its initial CARES Act Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) eligibility rule that excluded Tribally-owned small businesses with revenue from gaming operations.Many Tribes depend on the businesses they own and operate to fund essential services in Indian Country because Tribal governments, unlike state and local governments, do not have a traditional tax base. Udall and Senate Democrats have pressed for Treasury and SBA to reverse this position: Udall sent a letter on April 8th to Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and SBA Administrator Jovita Carranza, and spoke with Mnuchin by phone April 18, urging Treasury and SBA to adhere to congressional intent and include Tribally-owned businesses in the PPP.“I am relieved that the SBA is correcting its harmful initial guidance which unfairly excluded a significant number of Tribally-owned businesses from the Paycheck Protection Program. I personally urged Secretary Mnuchin to change this policy, and I am glad that Treasury is listening to our calls and adhering to Congress’ unambiguous intent,” Udall said. “Tribal businesses are some of the biggest employers and income generators for both the Tribal and non-Tribal communities they serve, and these government-owned enterprises fund essential services to their communities, like health care, education, and public safety needs. Because Tribes do not have a traditional tax base to generate government revenue for essential services, it is absolutely critical that all Tribal business under 500 employees – including gaming enterprises –  are deemed eligible for PPP loans.“Unfortunately, the delay in reversing SBA’s erroneous guidance has already put Tribal businesses at a disadvantage at a time of immense need. Once again, the Trump administration’s inability or unwillingness to understand the unique needs of Native communities has set Indian Country back. The entire Trump administration must make a greater effort to listen to and include Tribes in the COVID-19 response moving forward – and the administration must be more cognizant of congressional intent, more effective in distributing funding in an equitable and competent way to Native communities, and better-educated about our shared federal trust responsibility to Indian Country.”last_img read more

Strong Q1 at port of Antwerp

first_imgConventional breakbulk at the gateway grew by 4.4 percent in Q1 2013 over the equivalent trading period of 2012 to 3.65 million tonnes, mainly due to an increase in steel product volumes (up 6.4 percent to 1.65 million tonnes). Ro-ro volumes were down by 0.5 percent to 1.12 million tonnes, although the number of cars handled grew by 5.5 percent to 305,707. The amount of liquid and dry bulk handled at the port of Antwerp rose by 13.4 percent in Q1 2013 to 17.77 million tonnes. The gateway handled 2.126,254 teu in Q1 2013, a year-on-year decline of 2.8 percent over Q1 2012. The number of vessels calling at the seaport during the first quarter of 2013 was down by 1.2 percent year-on-year to 3,587 – although the gross tonnage rose by 3 percent the 79.8 million, signifying that larger ships are calling at the gateway.www.portofantwerp.comlast_img read more

Video: Tim Alcorn of AM 930 WEOL Talks Lorain County High School Football for Week 8

first_img Matt Loede has been a part of the Cleveland Sports Media for over 21 years, with experience covering Major League Baseball, National Basketball Association, the National Football League and even high school and college events. He has been a part of the Cleveland Indians coverage since the opening of Jacobs/Progressive Field in 1994, and spent two and a half years covering the team for 92.3 The Fan, and covers them daily for Associated Press Radio. You can follow Matt on Twitter HERE. Related TopicsHigh School FootballTim Alcorn Matt Loedecenter_img Check out the video as WEOL’s Tim Alcorn gives a preview on week eight of high school football in Lorain County, and don’t forget to check back Friday for links to the games that WEOL will be airing that you can hear on their website!last_img read more