Nuñez, Levine drop assisted-suicide bill for this year

first_imgThe volatile issue has split groups ranging from senior citizens to physicians. “It’s just not something that legislators are comfortable with,” said Tim Rosales, a spokesman for Californians Against Assisted Suicide. The bill would have allowed a California adult diagnosed with less than three months to live to get a lethal prescription after clearing several requirements. Nuñez drew sharp criticism from the Catholic Church and others when he began pushing for the measure in February. But Nuñez said polls showed residents favor doctor-assisted suicide. Levine said many Democrats cited religious or moral concerns with the bill. “Some Democratic members said, `We’ll vote for this but it makes us uncomfortable.’ Ultimately, we were asking people to vote against deeply held beliefs,” Levine said. “Rather than putting members in that position, we’ll spend the rest of the year alleviating concerns and bring it up next year.” [email protected] (916) 447-9302 SACRAMENTO – An effort to legalize physician-assisted suicide in California this year ended Thursday as Assembly Speaker Fabian Nuñez abandoned a four-month push to sway fellow Democrats on the emotional issue. Nuñez said he was dropping his bid just hours before a legislative deadline because the issue had been “demonized by the religious right.” Supporters said their California Compassionate Choices Act would provide an important option for the terminally ill in pain. But foes had argued it could become a route for the uninsured to avoid financially burdening relatives. Assemblyman Lloyd Levine, the Van Nuys Democrats who co-authored the measure, said he shelved the bill until next year, the second year of the current two-year legislative session, because supporters lacked the 41 votes needed among the Assembly’s 48 Democrats. last_img

Four Officers Named in Police Involved Shooting

first_imgThe Indiana State Police has released the names of four police officers who were involved in an incident that took place in Dyer on August 10, 2017.  The officers involved are as follows:1) Victor Zamora, 37, Lake County Sheriff’s Department, 13 years of service2)  Luke Schreiber, 41, St. John Police Department, 10 years of service (18 total) 3)  Jacob Patzschke, 25, St. John Police Department, 1 year of service (3 total)4)  Daniel Kolodziej, 31, Dyer Police Department, 1 year of service (5 total)The officers remain on paid administrative leave per their respective departments policies.This incident remains under investigation by the Indiana State Police. Upon completion of the investigation, the results will be turned over to the Lake County Prosecutor’s Office for review. On August 10, 2017, at approximately 5:38 a.m., officers with the Dyer Police Department, St. John Police Department and Lake County Sheriff’s Department were involved in a vehicle pursuit of a stolen car in the area of 9300 Sheffield Ave. in Dyer.  During the initial pursuit, the suspect vehicle struck a pedestrian in Saulk Village and continued to flee.  Indiana officers were able to locate the vehicle in Indiana and pursued the vehicle north into the gas station at the intersection of 81st and Hart Street where it struck another white vehicle before coming to rest on Hart Street, north of 81st Ave.  What occurred between the suspect and the officers is under investigation, but the interaction resulted in multiple shots being fired.  The suspect died at the scene.  The suspect has been identified as Mark P. Coffey, 33, of South Chicago Heights, IL.  Coffey had an active warrant for Battery/Robbery and was considered to be armed and dangerous.  Coffey also had an ankle monitoring bracelet on his person issued by the Illinois Department of Corrections.  The Indiana State Police is being assisted by the Northwest Indiana Major Crime Task Force.  The Indiana State Police Crime Scene investigators processed the scene.last_img read more

STB Addresses Competitive Switching Other Rail Oversight Issues

first_imgLast week the Surface Transportation Board (STB) proposed new regulations regarding competitive switching on railroads, which if adopted would give shippers who are served by only one major railroad the option to seek competing bids for access to a second Class I railroad nearby without facing hefty fees.Railroads play an important role in moving soy products in the U.S.The Proposed Rule responds to a petition for rulemaking submitted by the National Industrial Transportation League (NITL) in July of 2011. The STB initiated a proceeding (EP-711) to consider NITL’s proposal, and received public comments.  In March 2014, the STB held a two-day public hearing to receive live testimony from stakeholders. The STB is now granting, in-part, the NITL’s petition for new regulations and setting out proposed regulations for comments, which are due on September 26th. The American Soybean Association (ASA) will be working with agricultural industry partners to analyze the Proposed Rule and potentially submit joint comments.In addition to the Proposed Rule on competitive switching, the STB is working on separate action to expedite consideration of rail rate dispute cases and implementation of the STB reform and reauthorization bill enacted by Congress.This week, the Senate Commerce Committee is holding a field hearing on rail shipper issues in Sioux Falls, S.D. that will focus on implementation of the STB reform and reauthorization bill. STB Board Members Dan Elliot and Deb Miller and a representative of CHS, on behalf of The Fertilizer Institute, will testify at the hearing.last_img read more