A. Salam Qureishi grew up in India and knew nothing about football — or America. And yet in the early 1960s, Qureishi, a computer programmer and statistician, helped the Dallas Cowboys overhaul their scouting system, replacing hunches with hard numbers.The result: five Super Bowl appearances and two titles. FiveThirtyEight and ESPN Films present “The Cowboys and the Indian,” directed by Mark Polish. It’s the second film in our short series “Signals.” (Watch our first “Signals” film, “The Man vs. the Machine,” here.)
AS Roma legend Francesco Totti was Mohamed Salah’s boyhood idol with the star forward having also admired Brazil icon Ronaldo during his youth daysRoma’s “Golden Boy” spent his entire 25-year playing at the Italian capital and scored 307 goals in his 786 appearances in all competitions and was named as the Serie A Footballer of the Year in both 2000 and 2003.Salah, who managed to have the rare opportunity to play alongside the former forward at Roma, revealed that he had been a big fan of Totti’s ever since his formative years in Eygpt.“I’ve said it before many times. The Brazilian Ronaldo and [Francesco] Totti,” revealed Salah, according to Liverpool Echo.“He’s unbelievable. He’s quality – both as a person and a player. He’s calm, which is great but has a very quiet confidence. I learnt a lot from him.”Since joining Liverpool last summer, Salah has netted an outstanding 43 goals across all competitions this season and has been touted as a potential candidate to end both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo’s decade-long dominance of the Ballon d’Or award.Report: Origi cause Klopp injury concerns George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Divock Origi injury in today’s game against Newcastle is a cause for concern for Jurgen Klopp.Perhaps with one eye on Tuesday’s trip to Italy…The Egyptian forward will face Ronaldo in this month’s Champions League final with Liverpool hoping to upset the odds and defeat Real Madrid at Kiev’s Olympic Stadium.But a modest Salah has dismissed the recent comparisons that have been made between himself and the Portuguese star.“No, not for me,” said the 25-year-old.“I knew from the beginning of the season that I had a target [for goals] in my mind.“I will keep it until the end of the season and then I will say what it is. I’m happy about what I did until now, and I want to keep doing that until the last game, so yeah, we’re going to see. We will do another interview at the end of the season! It’s fine.”
Ante Rebic says he will decide his future after the World Cup, according to Goal.The Eintracht Frankfurt midfielder has been linked with a move to the Bundesliga champions to reunite with former boss, Niko Kovac who replaced Juup Hynckes as the new manager of Bayern Munich.The Croatian star praised his former boss for the success he brought to Eintracht Frankfurt as he led them to a German cup final win over his current employers but refused to discuss rumors linking him with a move to Allianz Arena.Rebic who scored twice during the DFB-Pokal final told reporters: “He (Niko Kovac) was very successful in Frankfurt, and that earned him a move to Bayern”Bobic praises “unstoppable” Ante Rebic Manuel R. Medina – September 11, 2019 The Eintracht Frankfurt sporting director is delighted that AC Milan has finally found their left winger in Ante Rebic.Ante Rebic joined AC Milan this…“I’m still under contract at Eintracht and right now my focus is on the World Cup. After the World Cup, I will talk about my future”.Rebic has been one of the standout players for Croatia so far at the World Cup and Zlatko Dalic would be hoping there’s more to come from the forward.“20 years is a long time ago, and football was different then, but we (Croatia) believe we can achieve something similar.” He told reporters.
Spurs forward Son Heung-Min, finally opened up about the drama he lived during the summer with the possibility of doing military service for his country.It was a very complicated summer for Son Heung-Min as he played both the World Cup and the Asian Cup for South Korea, he was really close to staying back there to complete mandatory military service and miss out on two of his best years for Tottenham Hotspur.At only 26-years old, we saw the striker shed some tears after getting eliminated from the World Cup because he had missed his last chance to avoid the service.However, he was fortunate enough to help his national team win its second Asian Cup in a row and he was finally passed that possible professional hell.Now that some time has passed and the player is back playing for Tottenham Hotspur, he finally opened up about the whole drama and said that he would’ve had to play for the Korean army squad in order to stay in form during those two years.“Of course I am in a better position now because I have won the Asian Games, but if not then there was the Korean army team for me,” said Son to The Mirror. “Winning the Asian Games is about the most important thing I have achieved for my country and seeing the delight on the faces of the people back home is something that will last with me forever.”Pochettino admits Wanyama remains in his Spurs plans Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Kenyan international, Victor Wanyama, was the protagonist of a summer transfer saga, but in the end, he is set to stay at Tottenham Hotspur.“No country has won it twice on the spin and we have been able to do it so I am happy for my country and very proud of South Korea and my teammates.”“Pochettino has been unbelievable for me in the small things and also the big things. He has helped me a lot, even the decision to bring me in from Germany and give me a chance.”“He took a big risk on me to go for the Asian Games and when I returned he takes me in as if I never left. His attention to detail is unbelievable and that is why he is one of the best in the world,” added Son about how important Pochettino was during this process.Exclusive interview: Son Heung-Min reacts to avoiding military service and names former Manchester United star as his role model | @Rahmanosmanhttps://t.co/HVottDg9QZ pic.twitter.com/d9O0UxLFGH— Mirror Football (@MirrorFootball) October 5, 2018
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp feels that their disappointing 2-0 defeat at Red Red Star Belgrade had nothing to do with being away from homeThe Reds surrendered their lead in Group C on Tuesday night after Milan Pavkov’s superb double earn Red Star a shock victory.It means Liverpool drop to second in the group table with another tricky trip in the Champions League awaiting them in Paris Saint-Germain on November 28.Liverpool have lost both of their away games in Europe this season, but Klopp insists it had nothing to do with the team’s display.“It made sense to make a few changes, a few we had to make and a few we wanted to,” Klopp told the club website. “In the end, it’s easy to say it didn’t work out.Crouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.“Of course, we need to make sure it will not happen again otherwise it will be difficult because the next game is already an away game again and the last one is a very difficult home game against Napoli.“We have to make sure in Paris we do better. There were a lot of moments when we could get in control of the game and we didn’t do it, we made the wrong decisions.“I don’t think that’s anything to do with [playing] away or home, it just happened.“We will talk about that and will do it better 100 per cent, but for tonight we can’t change it anymore, unfortunately.”In the meantime, Liverpool will host Fulham in the Premier League this Sunday.
Former Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy has questioned the effort of Manchester United players under Jose Mourinho.Murphy insists United’s players must take responsibility for their performances when Mourinho was in charge.United sacked the Portuguese gaffer in December with the Red Devils 19 points behind league leaders Liverpool after their 3-1 loss to the Reds at Anfield.Former United striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was appointed on an interim basis until the end of the season and has led the club to six wins on the bounce following their 1-0 win over Spurs on Sunday afternoon.Speaking in the aftermath of the victory against Tottenham, Murphy questioned the efforts of the United players, saying, as quoted by Manchester Evening News: “They are putting a shift in and putting the effort in, that’s the biggest part of it.”Liverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.“However disgruntled you are with the manager it is your duty to go out and give your everything.”“You have to give 100 per cent effort in every training session and every single match.”“Can those players say they did that for Jose Mourinho? Aside from the Juventus win, I never saw that kind of performance from every single Manchester United player.”“So they have to hold their hands up, whatever reason that was.”“But all credit to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, he’s come here with a clear plan to play on the counter-attack and he’s done incredibly well.”