SWAT Standoff in Niles Ends Peacefully

first_img Google+ (“Police Line / Police Tape” by Tony Webster, CC BY 2.0) A standoff that lasted roughly 15 hours ended peacefully early Wednesday morning in Niles. It happened on Redfield road and started when police showed up at a home to arrest a man that was wanted when his bond was revoked for charges out of LaPorte County.When they arrived he took a woman and a child into the home and refused to come out. Late in the night he did eventually release the child, unharmed, and then around 3:30 am a tactical team went in through the garage and came out with the woman and the suspect.Below is the full release from LaPorte and Cass County Sheriffs Offices:On January 8, 2020, shortly after 12:00 PM (CST), members of the Fugitive Apprehension Street Team (FAST), in conjunction with the US Marshal’s Service Great Lakes Regional Fugitive Task Force, went to a residence in the 33000 block of Redfield Street, located in rural Cass County, Michigan.FAST members went to the residence in an attempt to gain further information and/or locate a wanted LCSO fugitive. The fugitive is wanted by the LCSO for the following: Petition of Revocation of Bond (original charge of Robbery Resulting Serious Bodily Injury, Level 2 Felony), Failure to Appear (original charge of Theft, A-Misdemeanor), and Failure to Appear (original charge of Theft, A-Misdemeanor).FAST Sergeant Brett Swanson encountered the fugitive, a female and a young child inside the residence. The fugitive presented a firearm resulting in Sergeant Swanson being forced to revert to a position of advantage. He and the others members of FAST quickly established a perimeter. The local Michigan authorities were immediately contacted for assistance.Deputies from the Cass and Berrien County Michigan Sheriff’s Offices, along with Troopers from the Michigan State Police, arrived to assist. Negotiators communicated with the fugitive for several hours. At approximately 10:11 PM (CST), the child was released from the residence.On January 9, 2020, at approximately 2:32 AM (CST) a tactical team breeched the attached garage door of the residence. At 2:45 AM (CST), the fugitive and female exited the residence. Both subjects were taken into custody by members of a tactical team. Both are now facing criminal charges in Cass County, Michigan.Both subjects will be arraigned in the 4th District Court.Arrests and criminal charges are mere accusations. Every person is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in a court of law. Pinterest Previous articleMichigan Lottery contributes $1B to school fund for the 1st timeNext articleFood Bank donations drop after the holidays Carl Stutsman Pinterest SWAT Standoff in Niles Ends Peacefully Facebook By Carl Stutsman – January 9, 2020 0 498 Google+ Facebook Twitter IndianaLocalMichiganNews Twitter WhatsApp WhatsApplast_img read more