A common question from a buyer or seller is: what is the best time to buy or sell a home?In the clothing world, it makes sense to get the best “deal” on winter clothes at the end of winter and that you likely will pay top dollar for a swimsuit when it’s warmer. Does the same trend hold true for real estate purchases and sales? Not really. But there are some considerations a buyer or seller should make as they enter the market that could have an impact on the transaction.Spring and fall are better times for buyersLet’s be clear. You can’t ever time a home purchase. Buying a home isn’t like buying a car or an iPad. The home buying process is a journey, one that happens on your own time and only after you’ve done enough research, seen enough homes and have your financial house in order.At any one time there is a brand-new buyer entering the market and then another who has done enough research and becomes a very serious buyer. Nobody can control the evolution. But something for a buyer to consider is that real estate inventory tends to fluctuate by season. Each spring and fall we tend to see an increase in home inventory due to the seasons. More inventory means more options for buyers. continue reading » 4SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Bar honors Rep. Kerner REP. DAVE KERNER, D-Palm Springs, center, was recently recognized by Bar leaders for his ongoing advocacy for the preservation of the judicial branch as a co-equal branch of government and his help to adequately fund the judiciary. Also pictured is Bar President-elect Ramón Abadin, left, and President Greg Coleman, right. February 1, 2015 Regular News
Rubella epidemic in Japan traced to past female-only vaccination effortsJapan had 5,442 rubella cases in the first 4 months of this year, largely because past rubella vaccination programs did not target males, according to an article in today’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.The main aim of rubella vaccination is to prevent congenital rubella syndrome (CRS), which involves various birth defects in infants infected by their mothers, the article notes.Japan and several other countries that in the past targeted only girls and women for rubella vaccination have had large outbreaks among adolescent boys and young men.Rubella cases in Japan increased sharply in 2012, reaching 2,392. The increase has continued this year, with men between the ages of 20 and 39, who were not included in the initial rubella vaccination program, accounting for 68% of cases.Vaccination efforts targeting both boys and girls were strengthened starting in 2006, with the result that children under age 15 account for only 5.6% of the cases this year.The report says that countries using rubella vaccine should work to prevent outbreaks by aiming for high immunity in all age-groups and both sexes.Jun 14 MMWR articleCDC reports infection findings in tainted steroid outbreakThe US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported one more suspected infection linked to tainted injectable steroids produced by Main Street Family Pharmacy and said that skin wound tests have found bacteria and fungi in 4 of the 26 patients so far, according to an update yesterday. The number of affected states stayed at four.Most patients have had skin and soft-tissue infections following intramuscular injection of the contaminated methylprednisolone acetate. Two of the patients had Enterobacter cloacae andKlebsiella pneumoniae, one had an unidentified mixed bacterial infection, and one had a fungal finding highly suggestive of Aspergillus, according to the CDC. Further confirmation is under way.The CDC said that though bacteria and fungi have been isolated from unopened vials, it’s not possible to determine which infections are due to the contamination and which could be from other factors, such as improper handling or medication administration.CDC reminded clinicians to use individual containers of compounded or preservative-free medicine for single patients only and to promptly report any infections that might be related to a medication or device, even outside of a recognized outbreak.Jun 13 CDC outbreak updateViral pneumonia sickens 21 health workers at Chinese hospitalLocal health officials in China’s Anhui province said today that 21 healthcare workers from the same hospital in the city of Suzhou have been hospitalized with viral pneumonia, Xinhua, China’s state news agency reported.A statement from city health officials said all worked in the hospital’s respiratory care department, and none of the illnesses are critical. The first patient was a nurse who came down with a fever, cough, and headache on Jun 5. No new cases have been reported since Jun 11.The city’s disease control center is testing samples from the patients, though tests at another hospital’s lab indicate that the patients have viral pneumonia.A spokesperson from Anhui province’s health bureau told Xinhua that the illness is a common pneumonia and does not pose a public health threat.Jun 14 Xinhua storyDemocratic Republic of Congo reports yellow fever outbreakThe Democratic of Congo’s health ministry is launching a yellow fever vaccination campaign in response to an outbreak that has so far resulted in 51 suspected cases and 19 deaths in three of the country’s health zones, the World Health Organization (WHO) said today.So far six of the infections have been lab-confirmed. The index patient is a 16-year-old boy from the village of Kisengua in the northeast part of the country who got sick on Mar 1.The mass vaccination campaign starts Jun 20 and will target 503,426 people in the three health zones, the WHO said. The International Coordinating Group on Yellow Fever Provision will dispense 559,000 doses to the health ministry, which will coordinate the campaign with assistance of global health partners.The last report of yellow fever in the country was Jul 2010, according to previous WHO reports. The Republic of Congo, the DRC’s neighbor to the west, reported an outbreak in December 2012.Jun 14 WHO statement
Federal and state health officials are investigating a multistate Salmonella outbreak connected with a potentially contaminated organic packaged coconut that was sold at Natural Grocers stores, a product that was the subject of a recall posted by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) yesterday.In the recall notice, Vitamin Cottage Natural Food Market, Inc., based in Lakewood, Colo., said it was recalling its Natural Grocers brand 10-ounce Coconut Smiles Organic due to potential Salmonella contamination. It said six illnesses have been reported, the company’s own routine tests found Salmonella in some packages, and a sample taken by the FDA was also positive for Salmonella.The product is packaged in clear plastic 10-ounce bags bearing the Natural Grocers label. All packages with packed-on dates before 18-075 (Mar 16, 2018) are subject to the recall. The products were distributed to 145 Natural Grocers stores in 19 states: Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.CDC working with several statesBrittany Behm, MPH, a public affairs specialist with the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC’s) Division of Foodborne, Waterborne, and Environmental Diseases told CIDRAP News that the CDC is working with several states on a multistate Salmonella outbreak investigation.”We are working with states to confirm the number of ill people in each state and the release of state-specific information,” she said, adding that so far information suggests Coconut Smiles Organic may be contaminated with Salmonella and is one likely source of the outbreak infections.”CDC plans to post an announcement as soon as possible, which will include a recommendation that people not eat recalled Coconut Smiles Organic from Natural Grocers,” Behm said, adding that the investigation is still under way.The outbreak does not appear to be related to an earlier 2018 Salmonella outbreak linked to frozen shredded coconut, which sickened 27 people in nine states.See also:Mar 19 FDA recall noticeFeb 15 CIDRAP News scan “CDC declares coconut-linked Salmonella investigation over”
RCLC News:The Regional Coalition of LANL Communities (RCLC) Board will meet online at 1:30 p.m. Friday, May 15. The agenda for this meeting can be viewed HERE.Due to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, and upon consultation with legal counsel, RCLC Chairman Henry Roybal has directed that the May 15, 2020 RCLC board meeting be conducted via the electronic media application Zoom.In accordance with Open Meetings Act guidelines published by the New Mexico Attorney General, RCLC members of the public wishing to attend may view the meeting via Zoom, by linking to the following URL address, or listen by calling the conference call line listed below:Join Zoom Meeting: https://zoom.us/j/7487396057, Meeting ID: 748 739 6057Zoom dial in: (748) 739 6057, Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ab9QKihTg5Conference Call dial in: (605) 313-5545, Access Code: 606547#
n this Dec. 20, 2014, file photo, Philadelphia Eagles running back LeSean McCoy carries the ball during an NFL football game against the Washington Redskins in Landover, Md. A person familiar with the deal says the Eagles have agreed to trade star running back McCoy for Buffalo Bills linebacker Kiko Alonso. The person spoke under condition of anonymity Tuesday night, March 3, 2015, because the teams had not announced the deal. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky, File)PHILADELPHIA (AP) _ Chip Kelly says LeSean McCoy was wrong to suggest he favors White players over Black players and says he never considers race when he’s building the Philadelphia Eagles’ roster.“I’ve got great respect for LeSean. However, in that situation, I think he’s wrong,” Kelly said Thursday. “We put a lot of time in looking at the characters and factors that go into selection and retention of players, and color’s never been one of them.”Kelly traded McCoy to the Buffalo Bills in March for linebacker Kiko Alonso. McCoy wasn’t happy about the trade. The two-time All-Pro and leading rusher in franchise history then questioned Kelly’s motives in an interview with ESPN The Magazine earlier this month.“You see how fast he got rid of all the good players. Especially all the good Black players. He got rid of them the fastest,” McCoy said. “But there’s a reason he got rid of all the Black players _ the good ones _ like that.”McCoy referenced Kelly releasing star receiver DeSean Jackson a year earlier, while keeping receiver Riley Cooper.“That doesn’t hurt me,” Kelly said of the comments. “I’m not governed by the fear of what other people say. Events don’t elicit feelings. I think beliefs elicit feelings, and I understood what my beliefs are and I know who I am.”Kelly said he doesn’t plan to address the team about the comments, and he hasn’t spoken to McCoy.“I reached out to him twice and he didn’t accept my call,” Kelly said. “And I talked to his agent and told him I’d love to talk to him at some point, but I haven’t had a chance to touch base with him.”The third-year coach isn’t concerned about perception outside the locker room.“If you start chasing perception then you got a long life ahead of you, son,” Kelly said. “That’s what it’s all about if you’re worried about someone’s perception of what’s going on with you. You control one thing _ you control yourself. And I know how we run this organization, and it’s not run that way.”
Advertisement 2pNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vsrf3y9Wingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Ecfcsc( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 90nWould you ever consider trying this?😱d1oCan your students do this? 🌚wjg7Roller skating! Powered by Firework Marin Cilic, who turned 30 on Friday, makes history as he becomes the youngest Grand Slam champion still active in the men’s tennis circuit – the most unexpected, and improbable, phenomenon in the sport’s history. As of Sept. 28, no men’s tennis player under the age of 30 has won a major. This has never occurred before in the sport. Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka, Juan Martin Del Potro, and now Cilic are all over 30.Advertisement According to data since 1930 from the ATP World Tour, male pros ages 30 and up own all the major singles titles won by currently active players. When one ponders upon this, it isn’t that difficult to visualize how unusual this fact is, both when thinking about individual players’ careers and also when thinking about the structural changes in the sport. Although advances in technology and healthcare have made it possible to play elite tennis for longer, those shifts alone cannot account for the severity of this over-30 situation. Men’s tennis never used to be this way. The winners have usually been young and dominant. From 1955 through 1966, men under age 30 won 48 consecutive major titles, the longest streak on record.The next longest streak of major titles won by 30-somethings happened back in 1969, when Rod Laver set it by himself, winning all four major titles at ages 30 and 31. Other than that, every season from 1925 through 2016 had at least two Slam winners under 30. Fast forward to recent times, the young still ruled after that, with Nadal, Djokovic and Murray winning most of the titles. But then a funny thing happened: Federer and his younger rivals, Nadal and Djokovic, kept thrashing opponents and winning majors, no matter their ages. All this could be very ominous for the men’s game, a sign the kids are hopeless.Advertisement Accepting that these present masters of the sport are gifted geniuses seems convincing enough just because millennials lack multiple things that those hard hitters didn’t, viz being motivated by their rivals’ achievements, using others’ wins as inspiration to improve their tactics, technique and conditioning. But whatever happens, the chance of any generation matching them in the future is slim – and perhaps impossible.Advertisement Advertisement
OBITUARY Joan Frances Carney (Drake) Born: 8 August 1933 Died: 2 July 2010 THE much-loved and respected Joan Carney passed…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
GENEROUS locals enjoyed morning tea and a charity auction for a special cause last week. Evergreen Retirement Village opened its…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
Shatford will start his post-secondary pathway in the Millwright/Machinist Program on Nelson’s Silver King Campus and then plans to enrol in the School of Business Administration for his second year at Selkirk College.“I hope to help the Saints get the BCIHL Championship back,” says Shatford. “I play a high energy, physical game and love to win. I can’t wait to suit up for the Saints this season and next.”Last season, Freed played in the Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League (GMHL) for the Temiscaming Titans where he led his team in scoring with 44 goals and 56 assists in only 35 games.“Rylan is a player that we feel has an exceptional upside, he brings more than 180 games of junior A experience and with that a deep knowledge of what it takes to succeed,” says Heaven. “We expect Rylan to be able to help bolster the Saints offense, while increasing the level of compete within our group.”Freed will be begin his post-secondary in the School of Business Administration on the Castlegar Campus.“The reason I chose Selkirk College was mainly because the college was very welcoming, they were understanding with the program I was interested in taking and were interested in helping me with my future,” says Freed, who plays centre. “On the ice, I look forward to bringing some speed and offense along with a good two-way game because everything starts from your defensive zone.”The Saints made it to the BCIHL championship series this past spring, but were defeated by the Trinity Western University Spartans. Winners of four championships in a row between 2013 and 2016, the team is looking to return the provincial title to the West Kootenay this coming season. The Saints training camp starts in September. The Selkirk College Saints will welcome a pair of proven offensive threats when the British Columbia Intercollegiate Hockey League (BCIHL) season begins in September.With the departure of offensive powerhouse Dallas Calvin, a priority on head coach Brent Heaven’s off-season to-do list is to find players to help fill the gap for the 2018-2019 season. The Saints’ coach will be looking to Nova Scotia native Josh Shatford and Saskatchewan native Rylan Freed to help carry the offensive weight in the upcoming season.“Josh is a highly skilled player with over 250 games of experience between junior A and the major junior level,” says Heaven. “He plays with an edge and has a strong hockey IQ, which helps his offensive flare. We feel that he will be able to step in and contribute at both ends of the ice immediately for the Saints.”Last season, Shatford played in the Sask West Hockey League (SWHL) where he scored 26 goals in 19 games, added 21 assists and compiled 95 penalty minutes.“I chose Selkirk College because I heard great things from guys who have played there,” says Shatford, who also spent time in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL). “Selkirk College has a great and storied hockey program, and can offer me the training I was looking for in an awesome environment.”